getting it on

..records of excitement and mundanity.. - politics - news - religion - sport - work - friends - family - stuff

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I haven't been able to get into this blog since my last post. I couldn't remember my username, it didn't recognise my email, and I had to send the dear support at blogger an email to fix it. So I'm back on again :-)

I went to my first Swing Dance Brisbane taught dance class for probably more than 2 years last night. They were teaching 20s partner charleston. Teachers were Drew and Jenny. Some interesting running footwork that I've never learnt before that apparently was taught at Lismore this year. I think I might start frequenting a few classes again to get some practice in. My dancing's been feeling pretty out lately.

I got a job on Monday, starting tomorrow. A support officer in a new branch of the Department of Main Roads which deals with process and systems analysis. Although it is government yet again, the area that they're in sounds interesting. It'll be good to finally get some money coming in as well!

I've decided that I'm going to do some IT accreditation. Either Microsoft DBA, or SAS, or both. Something to do in the next few months.

I've also started on some knitting (which is on my 43 things) so I'm rather happy about that.

I've still only written my first two basic java applications (learning java is also on my 43 things). I'll going to carry on with another one next week.

Nikki went back to Japan today. I'm going to miss her! I was pretty fortunate to catch her while she was back in Brisbane though.

Couple of rants:
- Brisbane water is shit. I hate it. Not that Edinburgh water was anything to write home about, but I swear it's better than the over-chlorinated shite they have here. I'm going to start buying mineral water in bulk
- Why is it that university exposure to software/systems isn't good enough for an agency and they need it to be "industry experience"?? I swear that's not a fair reflection on actual experience. I said as much to my interviewing consultant. Her reasoning was that doing something at university is different as you can take your time and is different from having to do it commercially and under pressure. That is a highly flawed argument. As I often left things to the last minute, I was constantly under pressure to use whatever piece of software/system was required to deliver an assignment/report/exam/whatever. Further to this, just because I haven't used the software commercially, doesn't mean that I don't know how to use it! I was slightly incensed at this, but it's increased my motivation to do some accreditation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home