Getting a car
I'm rather excited. I put down a deposit for a car today, and I should with any luck, be the proud owner of a 2004 Holden Astra manual hatchback by the end of the week, if not, the end of the fortnight. My finance has all been approved, I've booked in an RACQ inspection of the car, and I'll be having a look at it in real life on Saturday.
This is going to be my first car, and my first time consistently driving a manual car since I got my driver's license, as I've only been driving my mum's car for ages, which is a manual. Finally I'm going to be able to get that next step of autonomy: go out and get largish things for the house conveniently, buy groceries on a whim, go places on weekends, go and see my mum during the week, get home from the jazz club without a hassle, and all sorts of other miscellaneous things. It's rather exciting.
There's a couple of things I'm worried about though. 1) Crashing the car... y'know, seeing as I haven't driven a manual consistently since I learnt to drive about 6 years ago - apart from the odd drive on the wrong side of the road in Munich, and the other week when I drove my flatmate, Simon's, car home from the Brunswick Hotel while he was getting drunk, and stalled the car about 3 times on the way home, and effectively scared myself witless. 2) Not being able to reach the peddles. Yes, it's all very funny when you don't have exceptionally short legs, but part of the reason why I was stalling Simon's car was because I couldn't push the clutch all the way down without a huge amount of effort. We'll see though. No point being pessimistic about these things. Problem item 2) may not be an issue anyway because it is a small car. I'll test it out this Saturday.
So what I'm going to do this week is get myself an Australian Lonely Planet and investigate all of the places I can go around the Brisbane area. There's a tonne of places that I've always wanted to go to...
Also getting this car will be knocking off one of my 43 things of buying a car, and helping me follow up up on the other entry on my 43 things list of seeing more of Australia.
This is going to be my first car, and my first time consistently driving a manual car since I got my driver's license, as I've only been driving my mum's car for ages, which is a manual. Finally I'm going to be able to get that next step of autonomy: go out and get largish things for the house conveniently, buy groceries on a whim, go places on weekends, go and see my mum during the week, get home from the jazz club without a hassle, and all sorts of other miscellaneous things. It's rather exciting.
There's a couple of things I'm worried about though. 1) Crashing the car... y'know, seeing as I haven't driven a manual consistently since I learnt to drive about 6 years ago - apart from the odd drive on the wrong side of the road in Munich, and the other week when I drove my flatmate, Simon's, car home from the Brunswick Hotel while he was getting drunk, and stalled the car about 3 times on the way home, and effectively scared myself witless. 2) Not being able to reach the peddles. Yes, it's all very funny when you don't have exceptionally short legs, but part of the reason why I was stalling Simon's car was because I couldn't push the clutch all the way down without a huge amount of effort. We'll see though. No point being pessimistic about these things. Problem item 2) may not be an issue anyway because it is a small car. I'll test it out this Saturday.
So what I'm going to do this week is get myself an Australian Lonely Planet and investigate all of the places I can go around the Brisbane area. There's a tonne of places that I've always wanted to go to...
Also getting this car will be knocking off one of my 43 things of buying a car, and helping me follow up up on the other entry on my 43 things list of seeing more of Australia.
Labels: car


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home