Christianity *WARNING - controversial*
So this is the current Governor of the Reserve Bank:
Stevens is a committed Christian, and plays the guitar at his local Baptist Church
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Stevens
I think I'm prejudiced against devout Christians in such positions, and I think it's because I don't understand how they could be pragmatic and objective enough to do their job and be Christian. Like how can they believe in God, but also have enough analytical credence to believe in most of the elements of the bible? Do people who want to see all the facts to make a sensible decision, not also want to see all the facts related to and behind the story of the bible, being their core belief? I think there's enough questionable elements to the bible to make it raise a bit of doubt to the analytic type. I'm no authority on the bible or theology mind you. I've just never found enough substance behind the bible for me to stand behind the dogma.
Do you know what I'm finding? I'm finding more and more people who are religious these days. As in the new Christian movement, whether it be Hillsong, or just plain vanilla christianity (whatever that may be, and in whatever mainstream division).
And I wonder if it could possibly be related to terrorist threats and religious extremism of the arab states which is affecting people the world over? Is there now a bigger call for people to believe in something that is controlling the greater good?
Not that this pertains to ol' Governor Glenn Stevens mind you, who is "old skool" Christian. Actually him playing the guitar at the church reminds me of our chaplain at my old high school which used to play the guitar and get us to sing current "pop" songs (Human Nature got in there more than a few times) which had an underlying Christian focus during our fortnightly session at the school chapel. I went to a Presbyterian-Methodist school, and was educated in the ways of God every fortnight, in addition to fortnightly chapel. Sessions of learning about God were also combined with sex education in year 9.
Actually on the topic of this, something completely outrageous has been introduced to our schools, both state and private: Johnny Howard is unleashing a plan to post Christian chaplains in schools across the country to provide counselling and spiritual guidance.
"The federal Government wants to encourage schools to spend more time developing the ethical and spiritual health of students."
Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,4057,20660946-2,00.html
I couldn't have been more appalled when I heard this. I have MANY reasons for this:
Berate and attack me as you will for this one.
Stevens is a committed Christian, and plays the guitar at his local Baptist Church
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Stevens
I think I'm prejudiced against devout Christians in such positions, and I think it's because I don't understand how they could be pragmatic and objective enough to do their job and be Christian. Like how can they believe in God, but also have enough analytical credence to believe in most of the elements of the bible? Do people who want to see all the facts to make a sensible decision, not also want to see all the facts related to and behind the story of the bible, being their core belief? I think there's enough questionable elements to the bible to make it raise a bit of doubt to the analytic type. I'm no authority on the bible or theology mind you. I've just never found enough substance behind the bible for me to stand behind the dogma.
Do you know what I'm finding? I'm finding more and more people who are religious these days. As in the new Christian movement, whether it be Hillsong, or just plain vanilla christianity (whatever that may be, and in whatever mainstream division).
And I wonder if it could possibly be related to terrorist threats and religious extremism of the arab states which is affecting people the world over? Is there now a bigger call for people to believe in something that is controlling the greater good?
Not that this pertains to ol' Governor Glenn Stevens mind you, who is "old skool" Christian. Actually him playing the guitar at the church reminds me of our chaplain at my old high school which used to play the guitar and get us to sing current "pop" songs (Human Nature got in there more than a few times) which had an underlying Christian focus during our fortnightly session at the school chapel. I went to a Presbyterian-Methodist school, and was educated in the ways of God every fortnight, in addition to fortnightly chapel. Sessions of learning about God were also combined with sex education in year 9.
Actually on the topic of this, something completely outrageous has been introduced to our schools, both state and private: Johnny Howard is unleashing a plan to post Christian chaplains in schools across the country to provide counselling and spiritual guidance.
Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,4057,20660946-2,00.html
I couldn't have been more appalled when I heard this. I have MANY reasons for this:
- What is wrong with hiring a qualified counsellor, with training, who is religiously unbiased?
- Where is the separation of church and state???
- A student who requires counselling who is non-christian, and practices a different religion, is not going to be comfortable with christian spiritual guidance, and indeed would most likely find it unwelcome. Where do these students turn then?
- Further to the point above, putting chaplains in schools is only catering for those of christian faith, and is neglecting other religious denominations.
- Chaplains are typically qualified with a theology degree - not psychology or counselling. To be fair, the chaplains' role is to provide guidance and pastoral care - but in the context of the christian faith. And as stated before, this is unsuitable for catering for the multicultural, multi-faith environments of our state schools.
- I doubt there are enough chaplains to equip every school with one. Which leads to the question of where we'd get more from? Is it a case of just admitting more people, with less qualifications into the role?
- The church has not been more than a little notorious for paedophilia and sex abuse. What about Brett Skipper, who killed himself in 2004, after being molested as a child by not only Tasmanian Anglican Priest Louis Victor Daniels (who was also admitted to molesting 10 boys aged between 11 and 19), but also church youth worker Bob Brandenburg (who committed suicide in 1999, being accused of a range of sex charges, with claims that victims number up to 200)?
Calls grow for Church paedophile ring investigation: 2005
What about Gary John Riddle who was a teacher, church group leader and sports coach, who molested 14 girls aged 10-16 from 1971-1989?
The Sunday Mail - Molester's Sentence Increased, p88: 2002
Oh and there's more, in Australia and the world over. Is institutionalising chaplains in schools an entirely safe idea? I don't think so.
Berate and attack me as you will for this one.


1 Comments:
Hey man you didn't tell me you had a blog....and it's all serious and shit...
Gotta love the pop songs in chapel - people still ask me how I know all the words to "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette.
Nice cactus too.
Post a Comment
<< Home