getting it on

..records of excitement and mundanity.. - politics - news - religion - sport - work - friends - family - stuff

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

No more Swinging at the Fringe and last weekend update

I haven't blogged about it yet, although I received the news the other week. My Wednesday Swinging at the Fringe has had the plug pulled, and is going to live in lindy hop social heaven where all failed attempts at starting a regular swing social go to rest in peace.

The Fringe Bar has decided to try something different and said that they'll can the social at the end of the month. I've asked them to confirm the date last week, and haven't heard back, and yet I heard from them today saying that they would like to cancel my social for TOMORROW because the State of Origin is on.

You may note a hint of frustration in my tone...

They also tried this trick for Origin 1, trying to cancel the social on the very same day that it was supposed to be held, but I carefully explained to them that I can't just cancel the social because people are going to show up because they hadn't given me any notice, and thus I wouldn't be able to get the word out in time. At this they said ok, and I had to deal with the State of Origin still playing in the venue, but the dancefloor area still being able to have swing dj'd music. Of course the sound of the rugby league wasn't just a little distracting, but you have to make do, right? That they're trying this trick on me again is really outrageous - especially seeing as they've just cancelled me at the end of the month anyway. So dealing with this venue has left a slightly sour taste in my mouth as they've done contrary to what they said (and confirmed via email) that they'd do.

All in all, the timing isn't so bad though, because I've decided to take up post-grad study for next semester. It's going to be a Master of Commerce (Information Systems) at UQ. Part-time, it'll take me three years to finish, which will leave me at the ripe old age of 27 when I finish. At which point I'll be able to go OS again and probably try for a skilled migrants' visa in the UK. A vague plan anyway. I'm also toying with the idea of going to Dubai ever since a former uni lecturer of mine suggested it to me on messenger the other day - he's working over there, pays no tax and receives three times the wages. Not a bad gig.

So onto last weekend.

'Twas an extremely busy weekend. Friday I dj'd at the swing shack. It was a pretty good night, with a lindy hopping marine who had attended my social on Wednesday come along to the shack, and the theme being "Shaun Shack" in honour of a swing dancer here in Brisbane called Shaun Strong who pretty much attends every swing dancing event around. Saturday was some last minute shopping for an outfit for a wedding I was attending that night. Andy had some old college friends who were getting married, and it was a beautiful ceremony at St Lucia Golf Links. It was good to meet some of Andy's old college friends (Union College), and it was a really lovely wedding.

Sunday we travelled down the coast, first to the Gold Coast where Andy's parents were staying for the weekend, and then down to Coolangatta for the Wintersun Swingsation Ball. This was the first time I'd met Andy's parents, but I felt a little more confident than I did when I first met his brother and his brother's girlfriend only the weekend before. We didn't stay for long, and then went down to Chrissy's (Katz Korner) apartment to get changed before heading to the ball. It was nice to introduce Andy to all of the swing dancers from the coast crowd because they're all such lovely, down to earth people, all of whom I really like, but haven't seen for ages. Dax and Alice Mei were down there, as well as Scott Cupitt, so I got to catch up with all of them. I had brilliant fun at the ball, but I can't help but think it was a real shame that no Swing Dance Brisbane people went along. With about 900 people at the ball, they weren't short on numbers - but gone are the days when all of the dance schools came together to this ball. It was only a couple of years ago that SDB performed at the ball!

Anyway, after that, Andy and I were going to go along to the Civic Centre at Tweed because that's where all the crowd were going, but then we blew into a breathalyser that one of our friends had, and found that I was pissed beyond the scale, and Andy was .08. So we ended up just hanging out at Seagulls, ate three packets of Twisties, one block of chocolate, and one packet of Maltesers before I got really fed up, and because Andy said he still wasn't going to drive, I drove us back to the Gold Coast. I felt totally sober, so even though I knew I'd blow over the limit, I decided to drive anyway. A bit naughty of me, but I refused to sit around at Seagulls when the building was virtually vacant, eating more Twisties and chocolate.

Next weekend is the Dax and Alice workshop and my birthday on Monday!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home