Oz Manouche 2006
Being a committee member of the Brisbane Jazz Club might be one of the most rewarding things I've ever done in respect to educating myself further about jazz music. Just over the past few weeks I've had the opportunity to meet some amazing jazz musicians, and expose myself to some *amazing* music. This weekend has been no exception. This weekend, the BJC has been hosting Oz Manouche, the first ever Australian festival of jazz manouche.
Jazz manouche, gypsy jazz, gypsy swing, and hot club swing are all synonyms for the style of jazz from France in the 1930s by the exposure of the Gypsy musicians to the Hot Jazz of the US. Most well known of all is Django Reinhardt. Here's a history lesson for you: during his residency in a restaurant in the south of France, he heard Louis Armstrong for te first time. He was moved to tears, and the experience changed his life. He subsequently set about developing a style of jazz that suited his technique and infused with the gypsy spirit.
Predominantly the acts for this festival have come from Brisbane and Melbourne. On Friday I saw Doch for the first time, and I was just blown away. Apparently they're big at the Woodford Folk Festival, and have even played at Big Day Out. They had this amazing style of gypsy music which struck me as extremely influenced by the Balkan areas in Europe. It really reminded me of the time when I was at the annual ball at the Croatian Club a couple of years back, and the music had the same energy and feel. The dance floor at the jazz club was almost like a mosh pit with the amount of jumping, clapping and kicking. The lead singer, who was also a gem on the trumpet, was an extremely charismatic stage performer. Actually the personalities of all the band members made the gig that much more engaging and entertaining. Doch's also a Brissie band, so I'm going to make sure I keep an eye out for any other acts they do.
Last night I wasn't duty managing, but I was there hanging out, and invited Megan to come out too, and both of the acts were tremendous. First was Duck Musique. I was absolutely blown away by the vocals of Kelsey James. She had a clear, and I could almost describe it as "honest" sound to her voice, with a bit of an Ella Fitzgerald style growl.
After that was Mystery Pacific, with Ewan Mackenzie as the band leader, and also the chief mastermind behind the Oz Manouche festival. He's also a really lovely guy to boot. On his recommendation about which of his three cd's he's released which would be the best for the "swinging" ear, and he said most likely the second one, which I duly purchased last night and have found it to be more than excellent.

I purchased the cd pictured. I'm really loving the song "Up at the Lab", which was written by them as well. I would say that the energy of the songs feel very much balboa-esque because of the strength of the bounce in the music, but also works a treat for 20s charleston.
Actually on the topic of great music I've acquired recently, last week I happened upon a cd called Big Mama Thornton with the Muddy Waters Blues Band - 1966. Absolutely amazing blues tracks throughout. More on that one later...
So I'm off to do another duty manager shift at the jazz club again this afternoon, and then probably start getting ready for my trip to Thailand on Wednesday.
Jazz manouche, gypsy jazz, gypsy swing, and hot club swing are all synonyms for the style of jazz from France in the 1930s by the exposure of the Gypsy musicians to the Hot Jazz of the US. Most well known of all is Django Reinhardt. Here's a history lesson for you: during his residency in a restaurant in the south of France, he heard Louis Armstrong for te first time. He was moved to tears, and the experience changed his life. He subsequently set about developing a style of jazz that suited his technique and infused with the gypsy spirit.
Predominantly the acts for this festival have come from Brisbane and Melbourne. On Friday I saw Doch for the first time, and I was just blown away. Apparently they're big at the Woodford Folk Festival, and have even played at Big Day Out. They had this amazing style of gypsy music which struck me as extremely influenced by the Balkan areas in Europe. It really reminded me of the time when I was at the annual ball at the Croatian Club a couple of years back, and the music had the same energy and feel. The dance floor at the jazz club was almost like a mosh pit with the amount of jumping, clapping and kicking. The lead singer, who was also a gem on the trumpet, was an extremely charismatic stage performer. Actually the personalities of all the band members made the gig that much more engaging and entertaining. Doch's also a Brissie band, so I'm going to make sure I keep an eye out for any other acts they do.
Last night I wasn't duty managing, but I was there hanging out, and invited Megan to come out too, and both of the acts were tremendous. First was Duck Musique. I was absolutely blown away by the vocals of Kelsey James. She had a clear, and I could almost describe it as "honest" sound to her voice, with a bit of an Ella Fitzgerald style growl.
After that was Mystery Pacific, with Ewan Mackenzie as the band leader, and also the chief mastermind behind the Oz Manouche festival. He's also a really lovely guy to boot. On his recommendation about which of his three cd's he's released which would be the best for the "swinging" ear, and he said most likely the second one, which I duly purchased last night and have found it to be more than excellent.

I purchased the cd pictured. I'm really loving the song "Up at the Lab", which was written by them as well. I would say that the energy of the songs feel very much balboa-esque because of the strength of the bounce in the music, but also works a treat for 20s charleston.
Actually on the topic of great music I've acquired recently, last week I happened upon a cd called Big Mama Thornton with the Muddy Waters Blues Band - 1966. Absolutely amazing blues tracks throughout. More on that one later...
So I'm off to do another duty manager shift at the jazz club again this afternoon, and then probably start getting ready for my trip to Thailand on Wednesday.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home