tax returns, moving, uni, resigning from bjc
I took a mental health day off work today (not that my work offers them) to try to get my head around all of the stuff I need to organise and do for my move and my UK tax return.
The update on the moving situation is that we didn't get the place that we first wanted, but we've found somewhere else. The first place was advertised at $300, Josh and I put in an application for $305, but the place went for $320! That was well outside my budget anyway, but it's incredible how much it went for. I don't understand why people who can afford to pay $320 for a 2 bedroom apartment don't just look at the places advertised for $320? Anyway, it was only two days later that we found a new place, so there's one very heavy load lifted. Actually I set up the appointment for the place, Josh saw it, gave it the go ahead, and we got it. I haven't even seen the place yet, but today I went and had a look at the outside of it, and although it's a little pokey on the outside, Josh said it's really nice on the inside, and has a nice little courtyard. I'll take some photos as soon as I get to see the place :-)
So I did some shopping and bought a few things for the kitchen. Fortunately Josh is much better equipped than I am, although he doesn't have a bed and may be sleeping on the floor for a little while ;-) Poor guy. I'd lend him my airmattress, but my mum's got it at the moment.
Seeing as it's the new financial year, it's been at the back of my mind to do my tax return. I didn't do one last year because I got freaked out after having to declare my uk earnings and saw that I'd have a $900 tax debt. So today I took the initiative to find out how to do my UK tax return. The wonderful and ever reliable 1st Contact (I organised my international shipping, the setting up of my bank account, and all other things through them) have an online tax refund thing. For the time being I'm stuck on the section where it's asking me for UK address and contact details, because I don't have any. I've sent them an email and hopefully it should be straightforward. I imagine there's millions of Aussies who have done the same thing as me.
Tomorrow night is going to be a girl freedom night (cheesy but great!). There's a few girls I know who have been in sucky relationships and one of my good friends who has been living in Japan for the past couple of years is back in town for two months and said she's able to come along too. Recently my Fridays have been going along for the work drinks, so these two events may roll together by the end of the night.
I attended my first week of uni this week. I've already skipped a lecture. How naughty of me. But not because I wanted to, because I rocked up to uni, but couldn't find the stupid lecture theatre, so I decided to go home and read Harry Potter (which I've now finished and highly recommend - as opposed to the lastest movie which was arse-suckingly bad). I'm not feeling comfortable at UQ yet. QUT was my 'hood, and I had some really good times there. There's something pretentious about UQ. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with it.
I've also decided to resign from the BJC committee. I think I've bitten off more than I can handle. True my Swinging at the Fringe nights are over (which is all well and good because I have uni on the same night now), but I'd never be giving myself a chance to chill if I kept everything up. So I'm happy with this decision, although it does leave the committee a little low on numbers. I'll still continue to teach the beginner swing class there once a month though.
The update on the moving situation is that we didn't get the place that we first wanted, but we've found somewhere else. The first place was advertised at $300, Josh and I put in an application for $305, but the place went for $320! That was well outside my budget anyway, but it's incredible how much it went for. I don't understand why people who can afford to pay $320 for a 2 bedroom apartment don't just look at the places advertised for $320? Anyway, it was only two days later that we found a new place, so there's one very heavy load lifted. Actually I set up the appointment for the place, Josh saw it, gave it the go ahead, and we got it. I haven't even seen the place yet, but today I went and had a look at the outside of it, and although it's a little pokey on the outside, Josh said it's really nice on the inside, and has a nice little courtyard. I'll take some photos as soon as I get to see the place :-)
So I did some shopping and bought a few things for the kitchen. Fortunately Josh is much better equipped than I am, although he doesn't have a bed and may be sleeping on the floor for a little while ;-) Poor guy. I'd lend him my airmattress, but my mum's got it at the moment.
Seeing as it's the new financial year, it's been at the back of my mind to do my tax return. I didn't do one last year because I got freaked out after having to declare my uk earnings and saw that I'd have a $900 tax debt. So today I took the initiative to find out how to do my UK tax return. The wonderful and ever reliable 1st Contact (I organised my international shipping, the setting up of my bank account, and all other things through them) have an online tax refund thing. For the time being I'm stuck on the section where it's asking me for UK address and contact details, because I don't have any. I've sent them an email and hopefully it should be straightforward. I imagine there's millions of Aussies who have done the same thing as me.
Tomorrow night is going to be a girl freedom night (cheesy but great!). There's a few girls I know who have been in sucky relationships and one of my good friends who has been living in Japan for the past couple of years is back in town for two months and said she's able to come along too. Recently my Fridays have been going along for the work drinks, so these two events may roll together by the end of the night.
I attended my first week of uni this week. I've already skipped a lecture. How naughty of me. But not because I wanted to, because I rocked up to uni, but couldn't find the stupid lecture theatre, so I decided to go home and read Harry Potter (which I've now finished and highly recommend - as opposed to the lastest movie which was arse-suckingly bad). I'm not feeling comfortable at UQ yet. QUT was my 'hood, and I had some really good times there. There's something pretentious about UQ. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with it.
I've also decided to resign from the BJC committee. I think I've bitten off more than I can handle. True my Swinging at the Fringe nights are over (which is all well and good because I have uni on the same night now), but I'd never be giving myself a chance to chill if I kept everything up. So I'm happy with this decision, although it does leave the committee a little low on numbers. I'll still continue to teach the beginner swing class there once a month though.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home