getting it on

..records of excitement and mundanity.. - politics - news - religion - sport - work - friends - family - stuff

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

So I'm watching this show called "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?". I can't believe how stupid these people are. I'm trying to figure out whether the people who enter this show are just pretending, or if they actually are that stupid.

For example, one of the questions was:
Apart from Australia, what is the world's largest island?

Ok, this question is a little tough, but what made me incredulous was that the guy thought Africa was an island.

Seriously.
(PS the answer to the above question is Greenland).

Another chick was asked a question:
What are the two self-governing territories of Australia?

Now she was even told how many territories there were. Two. There are only two territories in Australia. I don't think I can continue.

The aforementioned chick only managed to answer one question on her own, being:
How many letter "f"'s are there in the word "455"?

She couldn't do a single other question without using her cheats. She still got $25000.

I want to be on this show. But I think there's probably some sort of upper IQ limit of 60.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Frase said...

Isn't Antarctica (also an island) bigger then Greenland?

16/11/07 7:21 pm  
Blogger dee said...

Antarctica's a continent...

16/11/07 8:03 pm  
Blogger The Frase said...

whats your definition of an "island" then?

19/11/07 10:02 am  
Blogger dee said...

ok, so this is a bit of a grey area. According to the trusty wikipedia:

An island (IPA: /ˈaɪlənd/) or isle (/ˈaɪl/) is any piece of land that is completely surrounded by water, above high tide, and isolated from other significant landmasses.

Also note:
There is no standard of size which distinguishes islands from islets and continents. Any landmass surrounded by water could be considered an island. Under this terminology all the land masses on the planet could be considered islands.

So either point can be argued. I think some person just decided that Australia is the world's largest island, thus anything bigger than Australia has to be a continent.

20/11/07 5:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home